To improve knowledge, technical and communicative skills of surgeons and to confirm that they master the novel operation techniques in genital surgery, according to high European standards of education, prior to performing them on their patients.
To Increase the quality of surgery and patient satisfaction by:
- Validation of surgical training and the assessment methods
- Standardization of evidence-based multispecialty and multi-tool training
- Dispersion throughout Europe of uniform training pathways based on these standards
- Implementation of an accreditation system for genital surgeons
Educational and certification program according the standard of the European Union of Medical Specialist (UEMS) which include:
- Availability of online educational materials describing the background, pathophysiology, evaluation and basic treatments of relevant medical conditions
- Availability of a state-of-the-art textbooks
- Creation of an interactive video library with multiple “skin to skin” and step-by-step surgery videos showing operation techniques, included assisting nurse support and device preparation.
- Use of top-quality environment-friendly 3-D models that mimic biomechanical properties of human tissue to train step-by-step surgery
- Hands on training by Key Opinion Leaders in the field in wet labs with cadavers
- The possibility to collaborate and train in certified “Centers of Excellence” throughout Europe.
In Collaboration with
A non-for-profit organization, which is a center of surgical innovation and expertise. Where industry, clinical and academic partners participate together on training, R&D and data analysis with the purpose of improving best practices in minimally invasive surgery.
The Multidisciplinary Joint Committee of Sexual Medicine (MJCSM)
A multidisciplinary committee working under the auspices of the European Union of Medical Specialists (UEMS) to study, promote and harmonize the highest level of Sexual Medicine in Europe – both on the basic and postgraduate level. The committee sets educational standards for training institutions and offers assessment for the recognition and accreditation, both at the individual and institutional level.
Key Opinion Leaders
who are internationally recognized for their expertise and teaching abilities.
Relevant Industry collaborators
supplying materials and unrestricted grants.
The ESSM Academy of Genital Surgery is currently under development. Educational materials and training opportunities will be added to the academy as they are developed. Each training modality will be validated by independent studies according to the available guidelines by recognized institutions. The first area of focus is penile implants and ancillary penile surgery. The goal of the Academy is to draw on the initial experience to develop subsequent training modules and educational opportunities.