Dear young sexual health clinician,
Tired being a lonely wolf in your field and totally in need of some doze of inspiration? We feel you. As you may already know, the Young Sexual Medicine Academy (YoSeMA) is the most recent addition to the ESSM family. We are a young and motivated group of health clinicians who work in the field of sexual medicine, as part of the ESSM. We aim to facilitate younger members’ engagement with the ESSM’s more senior experts, thus operating as a stepping stone for ESSM activities. YoSeMA also aims to raise awareness for sexual health, particularly among young healthcare professionals and students, providing tools for them to do so. We also recognize the difficulties of working within the sexual medicine field, like, isolation in the workplace, difficulty in finding multidisciplinary teams to work with, or lack of established connections to ensure continuing medical education.
Here at YoSeMA we empower each other, especially the younger subset of professionals, students, residents, healthcare workers, nurses, physicians, physiotherapists and psychologists.
Who is YoSeMA
The Young Sexual Medicine Academy (YoSeMA) is a steering group of young motivated fellows and graduated healthcare professionals (with an age limit of 40 years old) who aim to facilitate the engagement of others into ESSM activities, while spreading the word on sexual health throughout the health community.
YoSeMA Mission Statement
YoSeMA aims to engage young health professionals with an interest in sexual health, to foster networking and education, support the goals of, as well as providing a bridge to ESSM activities.
Who Can Belong to YoSeMA
Everyone that is part of ESSM and fits the below-mentioned criteria can become a member to YoSeMA:
- Healthcare professionals (nurses, physicians, physiotherapists, psychologists; including students and residents) up to 40 years old; OR
- Fellows who completed their FECSM/ECPS exam during the last 5 years. Non-members apply to the Executive Committee for membership in both, ESSM and YoSeMA.
- 4 members will form the steering Committee, elected after a formal application and interview screening process
- Term of mandate: 3 years
- Outgoing chair to remain for further 12 months as Past Chair
- No more than two members can arise from the same country
- Candidate members should submit an application for election 4 weeks prior to AGM (held annually at ESSM)
- Candidates elected by voting YoSeMA Members
- Each registered member of YoSeMA is entitled to one vote
- No proxy form are allowed
- Carla Veiga Rodrigues – Family Practitioner, FECSM, Portugal
- Gideon Blecher – Urologist and Andrologist, FRACS, Australia
- Laura Butvillaite – Psycho-sexologist, EFS, Lithuania
- Sam Ward – Urologist, FECSM, FEBU, Belgium YoSeMA aims to engage young health professionals with an interest in sexual health, to foster networking and education, support the goals of, as well as providing a bridge to ESSM activities.
- Educational – Clinical Session during the 21st ESSM Congress, on the 14th of February
- Social Interaction Program – After the session the Steering Committee will have an open panel to talk with members and a short get together.
YoSeMA Journal Club
As the offer of ESSM activities keeps expanding and online educational features are in demand like never, we make it super easy for you and drop all that you need as a young professional: education, health promotion and networking – on social media in the form of a super cool YoSeMA journal club.
This is no traditional journal club: YoSeMA Taskforce is working solidly together to present you the best digested sexual health research – so that you could enjoy the pleasure of reading the insights generated by peer young professionals and engage in the discussion.
When? How? Where?
In late 2019, we hope to bring the Club online for all YoSeMA members. Coursing over 4 weeks, each monthly module will contain several components and will be a platform for education, discussion, debate and networking. We are truly excited for its fruition! After its debut and smooth start, more content JUST for YoSeMA Members will be added.
Don’t get lost in the fast pace of the current world and join us for an efficient way of engaging with research and each other. Lonely super heroes are too much last year, join YoSeMA and be part of the change